With ten days to go until my Adventures by Disney® trip, I got a little excited when the UPS man stopped at my house with my predeparture information. Normally this information comes around 45 days prior, but the group I’m going with is different than the usual group. We are going on a tour that was added just for us. I went through the box – welcome letter, countdown page, predeparture booklet with luggage tags, backpack and a plastic bag for liquids at the airport.
Today I realized that exactly six days from right now I will be sitting at the airport waiting to board my flight to Detroit and then on to New York City! Immediately, I turn to thoughts of what still has to be done to get ready!
One thing we will be doing on the tour is white water rafting. I have done this before so I’m not scared, but I understand the water we will be in is very cold. I heard that we will be able to wear full wetsuits but they recommended water shoes. I usually wear my Tevas for something like this but I’m not wondering if I should go for water shoes instead. They would certainly take up less room in my suitcase, but where would I find these in the middle of January in Wisconsin? I guess we’ll be making a trip out this weekend to see what we can find.
Next, this will be the rainy season in the mountains of Peru. I checked the 10 day calendar for Cusco and found that every day between now and when I leave, it will be rainy. This means I need to rethink my clothes. It will be cooler but wet. Since I’m stopping in NYC, I’ll need to have a jacket warm enough for there, yet not too much for Peru. Layers will definitely be the way to go!
While I am gone, I will definitely be blogging about my adventure. Here are some details of where we will be and activities on the schedule.
- Sunday – Arrive in Lima, explore on our own
- Monday – Fly to Cusco (11,200 ft above sea level), Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco, travel to the Sacred Valley, Welcome Reception and Dinner
- Tuesday – Rafting Trip Down the Urubamba, lunch and hike in Ollantaytambo
- Wednesday – Visit to Moray, salt pans, lunch and the Taste of Peru dinner
- Thursday – Train to Machu Picchu, tour, lunch and time to explore on our own
- Friday – Pisac Market, Awana Kancha (where we’ll get up close and personal with llamas, alpacas and vicuña, walking tour of cusco
- Saturday – the Stones of Sacsayhuamán, afternoon in Cusco on our own
- Sunday – Flight to Lima and Farewell lunch with the afternoon on our own, Flight to NYC
For those that know me well, you know I will take hundreds of photos, but if there is something that you want me to photograph or check out at all, please let me know.